As insurance brokers we are founded on principles of trust, integrity and delivery of outstanding products and services.
About the Policy
As insurance brokers we are founded on principles of trust, integrity and delivery of outstanding products and services. Our privacy assurance is part of our ongoing commitment to protect your personal information and treat it with the utmost respect and professionalism. When developing our website we placed this issue high on our priority list. We are compliant with Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act. This legislation requires that we obtain your consent to use or disclose personal information before we collect it. We do not sell or, without consent, allow other companies to view or use your personal information.
As brokers, we are regulated by RIBO, and these documents are designed to help customers understand our obligations to them.
- What is Personal Information?
Personal information is any information that identifies you (the insured), or specific to you: your name, date of birth, social insurance number, gender, marital status, etc. It is also any contact information that is not public (ie: Address, phone number, e-mail address that does not appear on a business card.) Data such as the name of your employer, your financial/banking information, etc. is also personal.
- Why We Collect Personal Information
The information you provide is used to complete insurance quotes and allows you to apply for an insurance policy. You have our assurance that we will only ask you for the information that is needed to:
- Fully understand and assess your needs.
- Fulfill the assignment you have given us to provide you with an accurate insurance policy
- Provide you with superior, ongoing service, including contacting you directly with an insurance related information request.
- Provide you with timely, personalized information about up-coming renewals and policy product and service changes to serve you better.
- Manage our administrative and billing processes.
- Fulfill our legal obligations.
We do not share, or otherwise disclose your personal information without your consent, or unless we are required to do so by law. We will only keep your information in our records for as long as it is necessary to fulfill the mandate you have given us, or for as long as is required by law or for other legitimate business purposes.
- How We Protect Your Information
Privacy assurance is our commitment to you that we take every reasonable precaution to protect your personal information.
SSL Encryption is the leading provider of digital authentication services and products for electronic commerce and other forms of secure communications.
Through SSL encryption, the certificate assures that information is kept private between our web server and our clients’ web browsers. This is 128-bit encryption enabled. (Making this site as secure as your personal banking website).
Your knowledge and consent are required before we may collect, use or disclose your personal information, except in special circumstances, such as during a fraud investigation, an investigation by the police, or in situations otherwise permitted by the law.
- How do you provide us with your consent?
We require the following as your consent for Shepherd General Insurance Inc. existing use and future collection, use or disclosure of your personal information for the Identified Purposes:
- Your agreement that you have read and understood our Personal Information Policy and your consent must be provided electronically online through the application process.
- In some circumstances your consent is implied
If you have an existing insurance policy with us and you request amendments to the policy, it is assumed that the consent which you gave to us upon purchasing the original insurance policy remains in effect. How can you withdraw you consent? You may withdraw your consent at any time upon reasonable notice, subject to legal or contractual restrictions. You must be aware, however, that withdrawing your consent may affect our ability to continue to provide you with the products and services that you have or would like to receive.
To withdraw your consent, you should contact us at email@example.com or at 1.866.565.6955. Unless we hear otherwise from you, you are giving to us your consent for the collection, use and disclosure of personal information as provided in this Policy for the Identified Purposes.
- How long do we keep your personal information?
Your personal information is retained only as long as we need it to effectively provide Insurance to you and for a reasonable length of time thereafter in order to meet any potential obligations or legal or government requirements. In an effort to prevent any unauthorized access to your personal information, Shepherd General Insurance Inc. will always use the utmost care when storing or destroying it.
- You have a right to access your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information that we have in our possession or control. You also have a right to know which third parties have received your information from Shepherd General Insurance Inc.
- How do you access your personal information?
In order to access your information you must make your request in writing to our office, stating as specifically as possible which personal information you are requesting.
We have 30 days to respond to such requests, and may charge you a reasonable fee for providing access to your personal information, but only after first advising you of the approximate cost.
- Shepherd General Insurance Inc. has the right to refuse your request for access to personal information if:
- The information is protected by solicitor-client privilege
- The information would likely reveal personal information about another individual.
- Doing so would reasonably be expected to threaten the life or security of another individual.
- The information was collected for purposes related to the detection and prevention of fraud.
- The information was generated in the course of a formal dispute resolution process.
- To enable certain functions of the website
- To provide analytics
- To store your preferences
- To personalize content and ads
- To provide social media features